Online Private Lessons
If you've been wanting to learn how to play drums for a long time but don't know where to start, if you've been going it alone for a while and want to level up your playing, or if you find yourself feeling stuck or confused trying to weed through the mountains of content available on YouTube and in drum books, online lessons with Lucas Gillan can help you focus your energy, set clear goals, stay motivated, and have more fun playing drums. Lucas has over a decade of experience teaching a wide variety of ages and skill levels, from 4-year-olds to teenage rockers to college percussion majors and working professionals. His teaching style, while grounded in the fundamentals of technique, time-keeping, and rhythm reading, is extremely personalized, with custom curricula for each individual and every lesson, based on the student's skill level, areas of enthusiasm, and learning style. After each lesson, Lucas emails a detailed practice assignment with supplemental resources such as PDF's of relevant exercises and links to helpful videos and playlists.
Online lessons provide an easy and convenient way to connect over obstacles of distance or scheduling conflicts, and provide a much needed alternative to in-person lessons during the current coronavirus crisis.
How does it work to set up online lessons?
- Email email@example.com to express your interest
- You and Lucas will line up a weekly day and time for lessons
- You and Lucas will schedule a preliminary session (at no cost) to discuss your drumming goals and work out any technical details
- Lessons are 30, 45 or 60 minutes
- Once you sign up for lessons, you will receive detailed instructions on how to set up your device and physical space for the optimal lesson experience
- Payment is delievered electronically, through Zelle/QuickPay, PayPal or Venmo
- Any device with an internet connection, a camera and a microphone will work (laptop, tablet or smartphone)
- Lessons are usually done through Zoom, but can also be done through Google Hangout, FaceTime or Skype
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
Lucas Gillan is a Chicago-based drummer, percussionist, composer, and educator with over a decade of experience teaching students of all levels, from young children to working professional drummers. He is the Percussion Instructor at Fenwick High School in Oak Park, IL, and teaches jazz drum set as an adjunct faculty member at Wheaton College in Wheaton, IL. He holds a bachelor's degree from Northern Illinois University and a master's from DePaul University, both in Jazz Studies - Percussion.
In addition to his work as an educator, Lucas is an experienced performer. He has toured the United States, performing throughout the Midwest, as well as in New York City, Nashville, and at the South by Southwest Music Festival in Austin, TX. He has performed at all of Chicago's top jazz and rock/pop venues, including the Green Mill, Andy's Jazz Club, the Chicago Jazz Festival, Lincoln Hall, and the Taste of Chicago. He plays drum set with Blue Man Group, leads an original jazz quartet called Lucas Gillan's Many Blessings, is a member of the pop/soul band The Right Now, and has performed as a freelancer with dozens of other bands and artists.